Effective immediately, Protective Life has revised their temporary life insurance underwriting guidelines due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These updates apply to fully underwritten applications and all new or pending cases with no final underwriting offer or outstanding underwriting requirements.
Age and rating limitations:
- Protective has reverted to pre-COVID-19 underwriting guidelines (no restrictions) for individuals who are 0 – 60 years of age.
- Ages 61 – 79: They will postpone coverage if individuals are rated higher than Table 4. However, they can consider coverage with:
- Evidence of completed COVID-19 vaccination (copy of vaccination card with name, vaccine batch number and date(s) administered).
- At least two weeks since the final injection.
- No history of immunodeficiency, impairments requiring IVIG treatment or prednisone dependency.
- They will continue to postpone coverage on individuals who are age 80 and above.
Protective has reverted to pre-COVID-19 travel guidelines based on country and case-by-case consideration.
Cash with application:
Normal pre-COVID-19 cash with application guidelines now apply.
Statement of Health:
Protective will continue to require a Statement of Health be signed on delivery for all fully underwritten coverage on any applicant, regardless of age or face amount. Note that this does not apply to applicants who are approved for instant issue of simplified issue life insurance, including single payment whole life or Executive Benefit life products approved on a guaranteed issue basis.
Any formal application previously postponed due to COVID-19 restrictions can be reconsidered upon request with a new application, updated medical records and current underwriting requirements.
Note that any case previously postponed due to their temporary COVID-19 limitations may have also been postponed due to other reasons. Upon review, your underwriter will communicate whether they can accept the applicant for coverage and if additional evidence is required.
Protective will use exam, lab and EKG requirements completed for another company as long as they are provided to Protective and do not fall outside of Expiration of Underwriting Requirements guidelines above. A completed Protective Part 1A will be required.